Panormo of Mylopotamos Crete is a small quiet fishermen village 20 kilometers east of Rethymno. It was developed the last decades because of the tourism but without losing its traditional character. Its Greek name means a place with natural harbor and calm water.
Panormo is located at a place that is believed to be the ancient city Panormus the port of ancient Axos. It is also called Kastelli of Milopotamos because of the castle (fort) which was built by the Genoese, who conquered it in 1206. The fort, some years later occupied from the Venetians. Its traces are still visible next to the harbor. In the modern times, the harbor of Panormo was used for the transportation of the local products mainly olives and carobs.